Over the years I’ve knit a lot of stuff. It’s not very often I actually take a step back and really look at what I’ve made. Usually ,an order is knit up and then sent to the customer within a day or two of me finishing it. This means,I don’t get a lot of time to admire the finished project before it’s on its way to a new home.
I’ve had some amazing ideas from customers. Often, these ideas become items I offer for sale or become a pattern design.
I thought in this blog post I would show you my top ten favorite items I have knit and tell you the stories behind how they came to be.
- Storm trooper hat This hat was made for my little brother who is a massive Star Wars fan. I think this particular hat was actually hat #2 . I need to make a new one evey few years, as he wears my creations everywhere!! The original hat was a Christmas present from 2010, that came with a matching scarf. This was he first time I ever did picture knitting.
- Monster pillows This was one of my very first custom orders. I love making these reversible pillows so much I swore I was going to make some for myself. Hasn’t happened yet but, I can honestly say I miss these pillows!
- The first knitted tutu Inspired by a dream I had one night, I designed, wrote and created this pattern. I wasn’t a fan of the ruffle scarves everyone wears and I wondered what else could that yarn be used for. This is the project I am probably most proud of.
- Multi-coloured tutu About a year after I made the tutu pattern I got a custom order from an etsy customer. She wanted a tutu made for her little girl’s birthday party. It needed to be grey,purple and blue. There was no ruffle yarn that was all three of the colours so I order 3 separate balls and layered the colours every inch and half. I love the way it turned out.
- Vancouver Canucks bootiesThis was another custom order from the early days. Based on the Vancouver hockey team, these toddler booties were a big hit. They were sent to as a Christmas present to a family in New Zeland. I made an matching adult pair for the mom, and retro Vancouver Canucks pairs for the dad and son.
- Retro Vancouver Canucks Slippers When I knit team colours I find a Google image of the team Jersey and try to recreate it on a slipper, blanket or hat. Sometimes, I add the team emblem or Initials of person receiving the item.
- The very first order to go to the UK. I love the UK and when I got my first etsy order to the England I was so excited. These made the trip from BC ,Canada to Essex,England. A very thoughtful guy was buying them for his girlfriend’s birthday. He even measured the soles of her shoes, at home so I could make them exactly her size.
- C’s hat I love making stuff for my friends. Here’s one of them sporting one of my brimmed hats. I made C pose in her hat so I could get some good pictures for my Etsy Store. She was the one who who actually encouraged me to start up a shop with Etsy. I told her I wasn’t good enough. She handed me a glass of wine and made me do it anyway. Thanks, C. For having faith and pushing me to do uncomfortable things. Turns out, you were right. I am good enough.
- Dr Suess baby hats A local customer heard that I could knit hats. Her and her friend were having babies really close together and she wanted matching hats made. The best part of these hats were seeing them on!
- The first ever mukluks
this style of slipper is my best seller, but it all started with this pink pair. I gave them to my brother in law’s mom and she wore them out! Here is a the same pair made again 4 years later this time the are knit with double soles and grippy bottoms and heading to the USA.
It was so hard to choose my favorite projects because, I love everything I make. Each item reminds me a person, an event or a memory and I cherish them all. Knitting has caused me to go from shy little Ashlee to bad-ass knitter Smashlee.
To my all customers, friends and family , thank you for allowing me to knit my heart out.